Department of Geography and Geography Student Association: 8th Annual Geography Photo ContestMarch 8, 2011
The Department of Geography at California State University, Long Beach, in collaboration with Geography Student Association, will conduct its 8th annual Photo Contest between April 18th and 21st (the week of Earth Day).
Step 1: Using your surname as subject, email the following information to email@example.com:
(a) a category from the list below,
(b) the photograph’s title, location, and year,
(c) one or two sentences explaining the significance of your photograph, and
(d) your name.
Step 2: Submit the following to the Department of Geography in LA4 106 by April 11th :
- a printed copy of your information email, and
- unmated and unframed color or black-and-white 8”X10” prints of your photographs
(Include only the following on the back of each photograph: (a) the photograph’s category and (b) the photograph’s title, location, and year. Do not include (d) your name on the photograph).
- If you wish that your photograph(s) be returned at the end of the contest, please provide a SASE.
- You may also email your application to the following address:
CSULB, Department of Geography
c/o Carol Philipp
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 9084
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Physical Landscape (emphasis on land and water)
- Flora and Fauna (plants or animals)
- Urban Landscape (the city and its architecture)
- Rural Landscape (farm life or more)
- People/Culture (people and culture are more important than setting in this category)
- Geography at the Beach (Southern California beaches)
- Geography in Action (what geographers do)
- A Billion Acts of Green (sustainable life and actions)
We will vote for the best photograph across all categories.
Each contestant can submit up to a total of four different original photographs that have not been entered previously in our contest. You must select and indicate one category for each image. Photographs must be your own images.
Images must not have been digitally altered in any way other than necessary cropping and resizing.
How do I win? A public exhibit of images will be held during the earth week. Winners will be chosen by popular ballot and awarded at the geography banquet in May.
Winners must provide an electronic copy of the photograph to email@example.com.
Participation is open to all.
Do not submit unique prints. The Department of Geography is not responsible for possible damages to or losses of images while they are displayed. The winning images become the property of the department; it reserves the right to reproduce, publicly exhibit, and or publish the image without permission from/payment to the photographer. The photographer retains the right to the image. All model releases are the responsibility of the photographer. Entry to the contest constitutes agreement.