The goal of the Department of Human Development (HDEV) is to study maturation and development as lifelong processes, integrating anthropology, biology, psychology, and sociology to provide students with an understanding of development in the context of family, society, and culture. Students learn about the biological, cognitive, social, and emotional development of humans from conception to death with a focus on equity and social justice, and faculty apply an interdisciplinary focus to both teaching and research. HDEV classes prepare students for rewarding careers in therapy, social work, counseling, health, education, advocacy, business, research, and more.
Learn more about the Vision and Mission of the Department of Human Development.
The department office (LA3 202) is open four days a week: Monday through Thursday. The office is closed on Fridays. If we are not in when you stop by, please reach out via email (Wendy.Lopez@csulb.edu) and we will be glad to follow up with you as quickly as possible.
- Monday: 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
- Tuesday: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Wednesday: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Thursday: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Friday: Office Closed
Upcoming Office Closures
- The department office will be open from 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM on December 11 and from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM on December 12 through December 15.
- The department office will be open from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM on December 18 through December 22. The office will be closed on December 25 and reopen on January 2, 2024. Hours will be 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM on January 2 through January 5.
During office closures, please send us an email (Minerva.Chairezceballos@csulb.edu) and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Regular office operations will resume on Monday, January 8.
The Department of Human Development offers in-person advising on Tuesdays in LA3-202A at 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm for current majors/minors and 3:30 pm – 4:00 pm for new majors/minors. We offer virtual advising on Wednesdays at 9:00 am – 11:00 am for current majors/minors and 11:00 am – 11:30 am for new majors/minors. Please visit our Advising page to schedule an appointment.