How to Apply
Applying to the Graduate Program
Minimum Requirements for Admission
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with an overall GPA and a history GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Substantial previous coursework in history
All elements of the application must be completed by February 15.
- Apply online for admission to the university by February 15. Go to Cal State Apply. If you have any questions about the Cal State Apply process, visit their Help Center.
- The University requires transcripts for ALL of your college work. Have your official transcripts sent to the university electronically or hard copies to:
CSU Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840
If you are a current CSULB student or a recent CSULB graduate, you do not have to send your CSULB transcripts.
- Send a Statement of Purpose, C.V., and a writing sample directly to the History Department at the following email address:
- Arrange to have three letters of recommendation emailed directly to the History Department (see above address) by your recommenders. Ideally, these letters should be from faculty who know your work as a history student. Recommendations from faculty should be sent from university email addresses. Choose those recommenders who can best evaluate your analytical, research and writing skills as well as your intellectual ability and preparedness for the rigors of graduate work.
- All application materials sent to the department must be postmarked no later than February 15, 2021.
Find tips and guidelines for preparing your application here.
For current application fee information, contact the Office of Enrollment Services, Registration Unit at (562) 985-5484.
For current financial aid information, contact the Office of Financial Aid at (562) 985-4641.
N.B. — GRE scores are not required from applicants to our program.