Student Learning Outcomes
UPON COMPLETING A BA IN FRENCH, GERMAN, ITALIAN, OR SPANISH, STUDENTS SHOULD BE ABLE TO
1. Demonstrate interpersonal, interpretive, and presentational competencies in the target language in order to respond to the demands of academic, professional, and personal communicative situations.
2. Demonstrate the ability to interact with cultural competence by critically and ethically investigating and evaluating phenomena in the cultures studied in order to engage ideas, issues, systems, and events of local, national and international significance.
3. Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of diverse linguistic, cultural, socio-economic, and geographical contexts and be able to identify the intersections of such differences.
4. Demonstrate knowledge of skills related to the discipline of literary and cultural studies such as:
- familiarity with literary traditions;
- ability to analyze texts in terms of style, genre, tone, medium, figurative language, and convention;
- ability to construct and articulate original arguments about a wide range of texts considered within their aesthetic, social and historical milieu;
- ability to utilize secondary materials to perform literary criticism and explain their interpretations in speech and in writing.
5. Demonstrate the ability to use the target language in order to effectively interact in small and large groups and collaborate in creative, intellectual, and practical projects and activities.