Program Learning Outcomes
American Studies Program Learning Outcomes (Revised 2017)
1. Conceptualizing Culture: Students will demonstrate an understanding of the concept of culture by analyzing the work of American culture within historic contexts, using interdisciplinary knowledge.
2. Understanding American Cultures: Students will identify American cultural diversity, highlighting the historical constructions, functions, and intersectionality of categories of identity such as race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, class or region.
3. Promoting Engaged Citizenship: Students will become informed citizens who ground American political and social issues within historical, cultural, and global contexts.
4. Critical Analysis: Students will interpret and critically analyze the production and reception of a range of cultural texts and expressive forms.
5. Communication: Students will communicate complex ideas about American cultures and identities in clear and well-organized written papers and oral presentations.