Travel, Lodging, and Logistics
California State University, Long Beach Language Training courses take place either on the CSULB campus, French and Spanish, or at the Joint Forces Training Base (JFTB), Los Alamitos distributed learning center (DLC), Arabic, Chinese, and Russian. You can view the locations of classes in our course schedule page. The closest airports to the program, from closest to farthest, are Long Beach Regional Airport (LGB), John Wayne Airport (SNA), and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
The map below highlights the above local airports, class locations, some of the hotels, restaurants, and other points of interest.
Trip Planning Considerations:
- 18 days should be used for planning purposes: arrive the day before the course and depart the day after the course.
- To view Joint Forces Training Base, Los Alamitos Billeting Office rates visit https://jftbmwrbillets.com/
billeting/. Most rooms are under $80.00/night or less but vary by rank and other factors (shared bathroom, etc.).
- Jet Blue flies flies into Long Beach daily and offers some of the lowest rates available. Long Beach Airport is about 20-30 minutes away from the university or the JFTB. When considering traffic in the area, Los Angeles International and John Wayne airports are about an hour away.
- Ayers Hotel, https://www.ayreshotels.com/
ayres-hotel-seal-beach, which is very close to both the CSULB campus (FR, QB) or the JFTB (CM, RU, AD) provides a discounted rate for students and professionals attending CSULB University programs. The 2020 rate is $141.00 for a city-view room and $151.00 for a courtyard view (individual King bed). These rates to not include taxes. To receive these rates, the person reserving the room must state they are a student of a Cal State Long Beach program. The Ayers Hotel sells out by May because Southern California is a popular destination given that Disneyland and other popular destinations are only a short distance away.
- According to the Defense Travel System website, rates for 2020 are the following: Los Alamitos, Seal Beach, Long Beach – $181 max lodging, $61 Local meals, $38 proportional meals, $5.00 incidentals, total: $247.00.
- Please check the weather prior to arrival. Although it is sunny California, we sometimes have more moderate temperatures. During the summer months, the distributed learning center at JFTB Los Alamitos tends to get a little warm in the afternoon, comfortable casual classroom attire is the course standard.
- Please register with Joint Language University and CL–150 prior to arriving at the course. Having an array of resources for language learning makes a big difference.
- Please bring business casual clothing, slacks and collared shirts, as there are sometimes class outings or guest speaker visits.