Dr. Esa Syeed, Assistant Professor
Phone: (562) 985-5690
- SOC 354 – Qualitative Methods
- SOC 415 – Sociology of Education
- SOC 427 – Social Order and Social Change
Research & Teaching Interests:
- Urban Education; Social Movements; Qualitative Methods; Race/Ethnicity
- Georgetown University, BA
- American University, MA
- New York University, Sociology of Education, Ph.D.
- Syeed, E. (2021). Putting Everything on the Table: Complexity, Context, and Community Engagement with Public Education. Interchange: A Quarterly Review of Education. Online First.
- Noguera, P. & Syeed, E. (2020). City Schools and the American Dream 2: The Enduring Promise of Public Education. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Syeed, E. (2020). Wearing Many Hats: Students of Color and the Grounded Aesthetics of Graduation. Journal of Diversity in Higher Education. https://doi.org/10.1037/dhe0000178
- Syeed, E., Kumar, M. M., Lowe, N., Moran, D., & Rucobo, K. (2020). Getting Uncomfortable with Difficult Knowledge: A Reflexive Account of a Community-Based Research Project. Collaborations: A Journal of Community-based Research and Practice, 3(1), 3. http://doi.org/10.33596/coll.44
- Syeed, E. (2019). “It Just Doesn’t Add Up”: Disrupting Official Arguments for Urban School Closures with Counterframes. Education Policy Analysis Archives, 27 (110). https://doi.org/10.14507/epaa.27.4240
- Syeed, E. (2019). An Open and Shut Case: Comparing Outcomes of School Closures in Washington, D.C. In Ebony Duncan-Shippy (Ed.), Shuttered Schools: Race, Community, and School Closures in American Cities. Charlotte: Information Age Publishing.
- Syeed, E. (2018). There Goes the PTA: Building Parent Identity, Relationships, and Power in Gentrifying Schools. Equity & Excellence in Education, 51(3-4), 284-300. https://doi.org/10.1080/10665684.2018.1563875
- Syeed, E. (2018). Conflicts Between Covers: Confronting Official Curriculum In Indian Textbooks. Curriculum Inquiry, 48(5), 540-559. https://doi.org/10.1080/03626784.2018.1546099
- Syeed, E. (2018). Thinking Caps. Contexts.
- Syeed, E. and Noguera, P. (2014). “When Parents United: A Historical Case Study Examining the Changing Civic Landscape of American Urban Education Reform.” Journal of Social Science Education 13(4): 122-139.