Dr. Robert Chlala, Assistant Professor
Phone: (562) 985-4760
- Racism, Power, Inequality (Soc. 436)
- Sociology of Gender (Soc. 325)
- Urban and Social Policy Analysis (Soc. 353)
- Sociology of Human Rights and Social Justice (Soc.449)
- Poverty and Public Policy (Soc. 460)
- Urban Sociology (In Development)
Research & Teaching Interests:
- Urban Sociology and Policy; Labor; Cooperatives & Solidarity Economics; Critical Cannabis & Drug Studies; Feminist & Black Radical Geography; Race, Gender and Sexuality; Political Economy & Movements. Community Engaged Methods.
- B.A. Political Economy of Industrialized Societies, UC Berkeley
- M.A., Ph.D. Sociology, University of Southern California
Pastor, M., Chlala, R., & Sanchez-Lopez, A. (2021). Organizing Community, Building Power. in Hondagneu-Sotelo, P., & Pastor, M. (2021). South Central Dreams: Finding Home and Building Community in South LA (Vol. 13). NYU Press.
In Review: Chlala, Robert. “Cannabis Care and Experimental Ecologies: Producing Fugitive Value in Punitive Los Angeles.” Special Issue Submission: Fugitivity as Method. ACME: An International Journal for Critical Geographies.
Awards, Honors, and Fellowships:
- Co-PI, “Study of Employment Conditions and Equity in California’s Cannabis Industry.” Department of Cannabis Control Grant. $1.04 million Awarded. 2021-2023.
- American Association of Geographers (AAG) Urban Geography Specialty Group. Best Dissertation Award. (February 2022)
- AAG Socialist & Critical Geography Specialty Group. Graduate Paper Prize. (April 2021).
- AAG Sexuality & Space Graduate Paper Prize (April 2019)
- Center for Engaged Scholarship, Dissertation Fellowship, Honorable Mention (May 2019).
- USC Joint Educational Program – Dick Cone Award for Graduate Engaged Scholarship (May 2018)
- Archie Green Fund for Labor Culture and History, Jack Henning Graduate Fellowship (Fall 2015).