Undergraduate Advising for Linguistics
Welcome to our Linguistics Undergrad Advising page!
My name is Dr. Michael Ahland, and I’m the Undergraduate Advisor for Linguistics. During the summer, a primary role for me is to help our transfer students find their way into our Department, understand their course options, choose a schedule and become oriented to Linguistics at CSULB. You can reach me via email at: Michael.Ahland@csulb.edu. My office is on the 4th floor of the Psychology building (PSY 409).
During the academic year, I will keep my advising and other office hours updated here. During the summer (2021), I will be meeting with our new transfer students in June and July to assist with registration and any enrollment issues. If you need to get in touch with me, email is best at the moment. I will respond quickly.
We’re glad you’re here! Looking forward to meeting each of you!
As an advisor, I can help with:
- Declaring a major or minor in Linguistics
- Advising for the TESOL minor
- Questions about course planning and academic progress in LING BA, Option in Translation Studies, and Option in TESOL
- Study abroad planning
- Career preparation
- Questions from prospective students
The links below are provided to assist students with course and program planning:
- Course planning for B.A. in Linguistics
- Course planning for B.A. in Linguistics – Option in TESOL
- Course planning for B.A. in Linguistics – Option in Translation Studies
- The language requirement
- Linguistics Courses that Satisfy General Education and Writing Intensive Requirements
- Linguistics Courses in the University Catalog
- Complementary Majors and Minors
- Funded Opportunities for Linguistics Students (for during the BA program and for post BA program)
Other non-LING specific resources that may be helpful as you plan your courses: