Scholarships and Awards
The Department of Philosophy is pleased to announce the availability of scholarships for 2022–2023. These scholarships have been made possible by the generosity of the Whittington family and past members of the Department of Philosophy.
Friends of Philosophy Scholarship
For AY22–23, there are two Friends of Philosophy Scholarships available (up to $500). Friends of Philosophy scholarships are supported by generous donations from Cal State Long Beach alumni and others.
For AY22–23, there is one Whittington Scholarship available (up to $750). The Whittington Scholarship was established with a generous gift from Marie Whittington and her late husband, Edward Whittington, retired Los Angeles commercial photographers and long-standing friends of the Philosophy Department. After the Whittingtons raised their three children, Marie Whittington returned to college and earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy in 1979 from Cal State Long Beach, graduating ‘with great distinction’. Her name appeared on the President’s list numerous times, and she was lauded with the Outstanding Baccalaureate award at her graduation. In addition, she served as President of Phi Sigma Tau. Mrs. Whittington then returned to complete a Master of Arts in Philosophy in 1982, writing her thesis on the question ‘Why Preserve Species?’ After receiving her Master’s degree, Mrs. Whittington taught philosophy for some years as a part-time lecturer at Cal State Long Beach, Golden West College, and Marymount College.
Other Relevant CSULB and CLA Scholarships
Philosophy students may apply for a variety of other general awards and non-Philosophy scholarships, including the following:
- Phi Beta Kappa Endowed Scholarship
- CSU Future Scholars Scholarship
- CSULB Black Alumni Gala Scholarship
- Long Beach State Promise Award
- Bixby Land Company Scholarship
- Crankstart California Community College Transfer Scholarship
- Doug Polly & Jean Han Endowed Award
- Jana Carpenter Whittier H.S. District Endowed Scholarship
- Gerald Locklin Endowed Scholarship
- Victoria Hall Engineering Endowed Scholarship
- Joseph & Ducelia Contreras Endowed Award
- Norma Stoltz Chinchilla Endowed Student Award
- Toni and Alex Horowitz Scholarship
To be eligible for Philosophy scholarships, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- be a matriculated student in good standing and majoring in Philosophy;
- have a cumulative GPA of ≥3.20;
- be either an upper-division undergraduate enrolled for ≥12 units in Fall 2022, or else a graduate student enrolled in ≥6 units in Fall 2022.
Submission and Deadlines
To apply for Philosophy scholarships, complete a general application online. Both the Friends of Philosophy and Whittington Scholarships require a writing sample or essay demonstrating philosophical aptitude. The complete AY22–23 application must be submitted by or before Monday October 3rd 2022.
For more information about these and other scholarships, please visit the BeachScholarships portal. For general inquiries, contact the Center for Scholarship Information (CSI) either by phone (562–985–2549) or via e-mail at <firstname.lastname@example.org>.