Honors in Political Science
Applications for fall admission due April 15; applications for spring admission due November 15
Students with a major in Political Science may be admitted to the Political Science Department’s honors program (option of the University Honor’s Program).
Minimum requirements for eligibility are:
- Junior standing, completion of POSC 300, and at least two additional upper-division courses in Political Science;
- A minimum of two semesters remaining before graduation following the semester in which the application is submitted;
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3, and 3.5 in Political Science courses
Applications must include:
- A completed application form
- One letter of recommendation from the faculty sponsor that has agreed to oversee the applicant’s honors thesis.
- One letter of recommendation from a second faculty member (preferably in Political Science)
- A 5-10 page research or analytical paper written for a previously taken course in Political Science
In order to graduate with Honors in Political Science a student must:
- Complete all regular requirements for the major in Political Science;
- Complete 3 units of POSC 490H: Honors Seminar
- Complete 3 units of POSC 491H: Honors Research
- Complete 3 units of POSC 492H: Honors Thesis
- Have at the time of graduation a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3 and 3.5 in Political Science courses.